Rugby Union Football Club Inc.
Western Australia



club newsletter pdfs

‹ previous page
next page ›





19 June 2011

Perth-Bayswater first grade lost another disappointing game when they went down 23-3 to Rockingham at rain-swept Lark Hill on Saturday.

It was a virtual replay of their first game of the 2011 season, with the exception of a vital ten minute spell after half time in which Rockingham whipped the game out from under Perth's feet with two quick tries.

A dour, inconclusive opening 25 minutes in drifting rain eventually yielded a penalty goal to Rockingham, as play ebbed and flowed between the 22s with both sides trying to control the slippery ball.

Perth equalised with a wide penalty goal by centre Thomas Trautmann on the half hour and the wet weather struggle continued until the break, both sides making errors and conceding penalties, but Perth making little attempt to use the stiff wind at their backs.

The second spell opened with the worst possible result for Perth as Rocky mauled up to the corner and pushed over the line for a try. The sideline conversion was hopeless but not as bad as Perth's restart, putting the home side back on attack again.

Worse was to come, Rockingham's right wing cutting into the attack to slide through butter-soft tackling and score beside the posts. The conversion was a formality and the home side shot to a 15-3 lead eight minutes into the second half.

Fifteen minutes into the half, Perth turned over Rockingham ruck ball and attacked Rockingham's 22, a series of penalties keeping them hard on attack on the home side's line but black knocked on the final charge and Rocky kicked clear.

Rockingham used the wind to keep Perth hemmed in their half but Perth again turned over Rocky ruck ball and counter-attacked until Trautmann was floored by a Rockingham player loistering 15 metres offside, having made no attempt to retire from a previous ruck. When the Frenchman took umbrage the ref yellow carded both players in a glowing demonstration of the girly depths the modern game has descended to.

It looked like Perth had lost both players when a minute later Rockingham sped down the touch line to score in the corner to go ahead 20-3 and virtually finish the game as a contest.

Rockingham continued giving a lesson in how to use the home ground wind while Perth lapsed into errors and poor options, the slippery ball making back play risky. To rub salt into the wound, Rockingham finished off with a drop goal and was well in charge when the ref called a merciful end to proceedings.

It will be to square one again next week when Perth take on Kalamunda at Pat O'Hara and a chance to get back on track. Perth are still in sixth place but a game adrift from the top five, however there is half a season remaining to upset a few sides who may already be counting their chickens.  

Mike Lee scores

In other grades, seconds lost to Rockingham 22-12, thirds lost to Southern Lions 39-0, fourths lost to Rockingham 22-0, but fortunately there was better news in the younger grades with Under 20s defeating Curtin 48-5 and Under 18s defeating Southern Lions 25-0, while the Women's team won 45-0 over Rockingham. 



Home  News  Playing   Admin  History  Links  Juniors   Contact